Mar 09, 2018
- Both offenses were strong in Pensacola State's 9-7 victory over Gulf Coast State.
- PSC took the lead for good with three runs in the fifth inning inning thanks to a Richard Sorrenti sac fly and a Griffin Rivers RBI single.
- The Commodores scored three runs in the sixth inning to cut the lead to 6-5. Gulf Coast's big inning was driven by a walk by Cory Heffron, a fielder's choice by Jacquez Koonce, and a double by Jeff Omohundro.
- The Pirates would create some cushion in the top of the 7th on a 3-run homer off the bat of Bryan Eusebio to increase the Pirate lead to four. Gulf Coast would cut into the Pirate lead with 2 in the bottom of the 7th, but reliever Aaron Ginn would close the door for Pensacola. Ginn recorded the last nine outs with 7 strikeouts to earn the save for PSC.
- Starter, DJ Wilkinson led Pensacola to victory on the mound. He surrendered five runs on nine hits over five and a third innings, striking out four.
- Pensacola State tallied two home runs and 12 hits on the day. Jake Nemith had a four bagger in the fourth inning and Eusebio went deep in the seventh inning.
- Nemith, Fausto Lopez, Eusebio, and Rivers all collected multiple hits for PSC.
The Pirates are back home Saturday to finish the series vs Gulf Coast with first pitch at 1:00.